HOME

HISTORY OF FRIENDSHIP LODGE

1901 - 1951  Part 2

The first member raised in Friendship Lodge was William Henry Haley on December 18th, 1901.

On December 31, 1904, the members voted to purchase the “Hiller Tower Building,” the present lodge apartments. During 1905 extensive repairs and alterations were made, and the first meeting of the lodge in its new home was held on January 17, 1906. The building was dedicated by Most Worshipful Grand Master John Albert Blake and Grand Lodge Officers on February 21, 1906.

A brief resume of the early financial transactions of the lodge given by Worshipful Brother Harriman at the Annual Meeting, in December 1920, follows:

Friendship Lodge started its financial structure with $46.00, contributed by its members. At the close of its first year, the cash balance was $8.44. To pay for the Hiller Tower Building, the members subscribed $1725, receiving in return, notes at 5% interest. For repairs, alterations, etc., $3300 was raised by a mortgage on the real estate. In 1910, it was found necessary to borrow $1000.00 more, on a second mortgage. This was paid in full in March 1918. The last payment on the first mortgage, $400.00 was paid in 1920, and the mortgage burned by Right Worshipful Brother Hill, at the Annual Meeting of that year.

Following the burning of the mortgage, a banquet in the lower hall was tendered Worshipful Brother Harriman, retiring Treasurer, who served from January 1909 to January 1921, and to Right Worshipful Brother Hill, retiring Secretary, he having served from January 1906 to January 1921. A bounteous dinner, gifts to the retiring officers, addresses by Right Worshipful Fredrick L. Putnam, Right Worshipful Robert W. Oliver and Worshipful Guy Ham, singing and music by an orchestra made up an enjoyable evening.

The social activities of the lodge during the early days consisted principally of fairs, ladies’ nights, dances and card parties, which were very successful and added materially to the lodge treasury.

Visits by members to Thomas Talbot Lodge, Billerica; Mount Horeb Lodge, Woburn; and Samaritan Lodge in Reading, were frequent, and made principally by horse and buggy, or trolley.

The following Brethren were is the service during World War I:

George W. Hathaway
Charles B. Olsen
William H. Mobbs
Gerald F. Frazer
William M. Dobson
George A. Steele
Hector Jackson
Harry Jones
Harold N. Eames
Hubert B. Eames
Arthur Tenney
Rodney E. Buck
John R. Smith, Jr.
Charles F. Burns
George T. Neilson
Ralph L. Buck
Arthur S. Brazel

On December 17th, 1919, a Welcome Home Reception and Dinner was tendered these Brethren, and fifteen out of the seventeen were able to be present. Gifts were presented and the lodge was honored by having speakers, Grand Master-Elect Arthur D. Prince, Right Worshipful Robert W. Oliver, District Deputy Grand Master and Worshipful Frederic L. Putnam, Grand Lecturer.

The bronze Memorial Tablet bearing names of these service Brethren was dedicated October 18, 1922 by Right Worshipful Percy W. Witherell, District Deputy Grand Master, and Grand Lodge Officers.

Copyright © 2013  Friendship Lodge, Wilmington, MA